Welcome to UK Christmas Lights. This is a forum for discussing Christmas lighting, Halloween lighting and more. We discuss both static and animated Christmas light displays, and cater for those who string up a single strand each year to the people who spend the whole year producing a jaw-dropping light show!

FPP show selector

Playing back your show! Falcon Pi Player, LOR, XLights and other show playing software.
T4Z
Display Type: Animated

FPP show selector

Postby T4Z » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Howdy all.

I'm just playing about with the idea for a show selector. This is just a prototype with 6 membrane switches (2 layers of tin foil!) and 6 leds. This hooks up to the Raspberry Pi's gpio pins.
At the moment I have 6 scripts for the switches and 6 led-on and 6 led-off scripts. these are just the StartPlaylist.sh and GPIO-OutputOn.sh scripts from the repository.
It is mostly working except that if you press a switch, a playlist plays but you then need to press another switch twice to get another playlist to play.
A bigger problem is that if a scheduled playlist is playing pressing a button does not play the new playlist it just restarts the scheduled one.
I have a video of it in action here - https://youtu.be/aISCz4r4w5o
Any thoughts (and solutions) would be most welcome.
Thanks. Taz.
Attachments
show selector front.jpg
show selector front.jpg (336.96 KiB) Viewed 934 times
show selector rear.jpg
show selector rear.jpg (410.25 KiB) Viewed 934 times
Manchester, UK

PBudden
Site Admin

Re: FPP show selector

Postby PBudden » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:18 pm

I assume you are running this through FPP.
There is a plugin to stop any running (scheduled) script, so you could incorporate that check to the button press trigger scripts.

Like the switch board.. how did you construct it?
PCB
----------------------------------------------------------------

T4Z

Postby T4Z » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:40 pm

I've had a dabble with the scripts and the 2 problems I listed have now been sorted. I think the next task it to disable the show selector when a scheduled show is actually running. I don't want people pressing buttons when an actual show is on - pesky kids and all that !!
Construction wise, this is just a piece of timber with a layer of tin foil stuck to it and connected to 0v. On top of the tin foil is a piece of paper with holes punched in it and then 6 more pieces of tin foil layered on top of this to make the 6 buttons. This is then covered with a laminated print out to make it weatherproof.
The common side of the led's are also connected to 0v.
Much to do to make it show worthy but the idea is there.
Cheers.
Manchester, UK

T4Z

Postby T4Z » Thu May 04, 2017 5:31 pm

I have finished my first new prop for the 2017 season ! ! !
The prototype show selector (jukebox) has now been re-built & improved and will hopefully still be working this Christmas. :)
Here are the details if interested - http://www.kakster.co.uk/howto-selector.htm
Or a video of it in action is here - https://youtu.be/a3ru1jq4qIo
Thanks all.
Taz.
Manchester, UK